AHA (alpha hydroxyl acids) are well known in the beauty industry and salons and used to exfoliate skin to reveal a new, younger looking layer. But AHAs tend to over exfoliate and irritate the skin, leaving it red, inflamed and tender. This leads to over-processed skin which can create irreversible damage to the skin.
Spa Technologies UK recognised the need for a less invasive approach for skin regeneration. Using pure extract of hibiscus flower, a complex of multiple acids and powerful antioxidants and a seaweed pollysaccharide delivery system, we formulated a multi-functional serum that gently promotes skin exfoliation while nourishing it with protective antioxidants with anti-inflammatory proprieties to strengthen and firm the skin. The result is a peel without the burn and irritation created by the conventional AHAs.
Compared to conventional AHA’s, flower acids from hibiscus are:
- 50% more hydrating
- 20% greater cellular renewal than AHA’s and salicylic acid
- 30% reduction in appearance of wrinkles by inhibiting elastase and hyaluronidase breakdown of connective tissue
- Anti-Inflammatory properties exhibiting an absence of the ‘burn’ (Levy and Goldschmidt 1979).
Flower Acids have a unique phytochemistry (study of chemical compounds found in plants):
- Bio-Complex of alpha hydroxyl acids – Phytic, Pyruvic, Mandelic and Azaleic which provide a gentle exfoliation while stimulating collagen synthesis;
- Polyphenols – powerful antioxidants (Tee et al. 2002 assessed the antioxidant properties of Hibiscus by comparing its activity with those of BHA and b-carotene);
- Anthocyanins (deep purple pigment in the flower) – a major component of hibiscus that reduces oxidative stress on DNA and act as a sunscreen in absorbing UV rays (Duhn et al, 1997).
Some may be lead to believe that the lack of a burning sensation means the products doesn’t work which is obviously a misconception. The pyruvic acid, a second generation acid, dissolves the proteins responsible for cell adhesion and does it more effectively than the lactic acid.
As the hibiscus flower acids are formulated in a laminaria and fucuse algae extract base gel, the non-irritating proprieties are enhanced.
At Spa Technologies UK the Hibiscus Flower Acids augmented by the marine extracts have numerous applications in the treatment and prevention of blemishes and helps relieve symptoms of rosacea, eczema and psoriasis to calm inflammation and restore strong, youthful looking skin and a more even complexion.
Last year our Flower Peel was Best Natural Skincare Product Finalist at the Natural & Organic Awards Europe.